Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Your Primary Search Engine



The other day in the subway an advertisement plastered across the top of the train caught my eye:


Automatically, of course, this image flashes to my mind:

(disclaimer: not my pictures, not trying to steal them,
wouldn't want to claim them as my own anyway just using them as an example.)

Ok, so first of all, no I don't think they are "blasphemers" or should be "persecuted" for stealing an idea that was used as such a trendy late 90's statement piece. The bracelet and acronym were trendy, the statement/question made: ETERNALLY RELEVANT.

What strikes me as interesting is the relevance and truth of the replacement of the "J" to "Google" in view of these recent years. I think their sales/marketing and PR agents got it right... Fads come and go, unfortunately the bracelet and acronym was quite a fad to be had in the late 90's, but now in the late 00's it's not Christ who people are turning to for answers (if they ever were), it's now GOOGLE that people are turning to for answers.

Let that sink in:
It's now GOOGLE people are turning to for answers.

Is that completely evil? No. Of course not. I'm still gonna use google's search engine. "What is the definition of...", "Directions to...", "How many tablespoons are in a cup?"

Of COURSE God gives us tangible means to receive answers, I believe He can even speak to us through Google searches if He wants :) "SO what's the big deal Tammy??" Well I'm thinking...the big deal is who are we turning to FIRST? and then who are we trusting in FULLY? We should always SEEK first the Kingdom of God, we should always TRUST the Lord God with all our hearts and lean not on our own world's understanding. "How to talk to my kids about...", "What to do in the midst of recession?", "What to think about war in the middle east?", "What are the pro's and con's of..."....

Sure you can take those questions to Google, but I would challenge all of us to first take those questions - big or small - to Christ. If He then leads you to look through scripture you might want to consider that! :) Or if He leads you to a book...a friend...your mom...you might want to consider that. If He leads you to a massive search engine with answers from all kinds of cultures, world views, ideologies...OK then with all of the above go WITH God through the whole process in seeking the answer.

You get my flow?

WHO IS YOUR PRIMARY SEARCH ENGINE?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Tammy! I like your thoughts, and I like your question at the end. Thanks for introducing me to your blog. :-) -Joy Arroyo

    ReplyDelete