Saturday, August 17, 2013

Trophies

As we drove through our neighborhood of oversized houses, I asked:
"They live in large houses, but are they actually living?"

The grande allure of it all, is truly enticing.  "Thou shalt not envy..." is something I do and don't want to be reminded of as we drive through neighborhoods with mini-mansions, excessive amenities, and a car for everyone who's living at the house of driving age (so usually about 3-4 cars per household). 

I don't want to be reminded of the whole "not envy" thing because honestly there's something human about me - maybe because I am human... - that enjoys the feeling of envy.  Also, something in my human desire that thinks: "Yeah, that's success and that's what I need to aim for."  It's nice to see your goals lined up for you in a physical format like a row of big houses. 

But wait a minute...I WANT to be reminded of "though shalt not envy" because, come on!  Get a grip.  There's gotta be more to life than big houses, fancy-pantsy bells and whistles, and a cush-cush lifestyle. "Look at all my trophies in a nice little row on my mantle."

Your trophy may be a symbol of hard work, and absolutely, "whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might".  No one is a fan of a lazy bum.  We are suppose to work and work hard at whatever it is we are each created to do, but be sure to ask: work at what and to what costs?

Do your trophies, your accomplishments and your WORK define you? 

What's the point to building up a trophy you'll never actually live in, because you don't have time to because you got to go to work to add more bling to your trophy that you'll never get to enjoy because wait you're always at work, working on...adding more work to your work so that you have an identity in your stuff........... (pause for reflection).

This means you no longer have an identity in who you were originally designed to be but now you're defined by the stuff you collect because of all your work: you're defined by craftsmanship, not of The Craftsman who created you.

My work often defines me.  If I have no work, I'm miserable.  If I have too much work, I am miserable.  If I do a "good job" with a pat on the back, then I'm happy.  If a do a bad job with a slap on the wrist, I'm miserable. That's called:  A Person Defined By Work.  I let work and the outcome of work (trophy or punishment) define who I am: happy or miserable.  This is something I constantly fall prey to.   It's something I'm working on. ;)

Yes whatever your hand finds to do work at it, work hard at whatever you're created to do.  But don't let the work or the "trophies" of work define you.  Work out of it being an extension of who are created to be.  If persecution comes, let it be because you were doing what God created you to do and not because you had a "job" to do and didn't do it well.

Yes, in Book of Ephesians it says,"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might
 
But I thought you should know the second part of that verse: 
"for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going."
  (oh snap!)

You (via your soul) are going to live forever, not your trophies.  Be you, not your trophies
Build your mansion in heaven, not your trophies on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment